Good for You
However you enjoy it, beetroot makes an incredibly healthy addition to your weekly meal planning. This original superfood contains:
- Antioxidants, carotenoids and flavonoids which have been reported to help reduce absorption of LDL or ‘bad’ cholesterol into the bloodstream.
- Soluble fibre, which has also been shown to reduce cholesterol absorption.
- Nitrates, which have been proven to boost stamina so your muscles can work harder.
- Mineral silica that has been reported to help the body utilise calcium.
- Folate which is great for expectant mothers.
Beetroot is virtually fat free and low in calories, and has a low GL (glycaemic load) which means it is converted into sugars very slowly and therefore helps to keep blood sugar levels stable.