Beet, Raisin & Ginger Pudding
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 3 hours
What you'll need:
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 100g vegetable suet
- 80g brown sugar
- 100g raisins
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 50g self raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 125g cooked beets
- 3 eggs
- 100g stem ginger, finely chopped
- Crème fraiche or vanilla ice cream
What to do:
- Pour the golden syrup into a greased pudding basin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the suet, sugar, raisins, breadcrumbs, flour and mixed spice.
- Puree the beets in a food processor, add the eggs and blend together well. Pour into the mixing bowl, along with the stem ginger and stir thoroughly.
- Pour the mix into the pudding basin and pat well down with the back of a spoon. Cover with a layer of baking paper and tie securely with string, then cover with a double layer of foil.
- Carefully lower the pudding into a large pan of hot water, ensuring the water comes no further than halfway up the basin. Cover with a lid and summer gently for 3 hours, checking every now and then that there is plenty of water in the pan, topping up if necessary.
- Carefully take the pudding out of the pan, remove the foil and greaseproof and invert onto a serving plate. Serve with custard, crème fraiche or vanilla ice cream.