Beet & Sweet Potato Galette with Sage and Gouda
Preparation Time: 30min
Cooking Time: 55min
Inactive Time: 60min
What you'll need:
- 1-¼ cups all-purpose flour*
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped
- ½ cup cold butter, chopped into chunks (1 stick)
- ¼ cup ice water
- ¼ cup whole milk yogurt
Beet and Sweet Potato Filling
- 1 cup gouda cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 1 250g package Love Beets cooked beets, sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
What to do:
Prepare the Pie Crust
- In a large mixing bowl (or stand mixer), combine the flour, sea salt, and sage. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter and continue mixing until pea-sized beads form.
- Stir together the cold water and yogurt in a small bowl. Slowly pour small amount of liquid into the mixing bowl and stir well until a ball of dough forms. Form the dough into a disc and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
Prepare the Filling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spread the sweet potato slices over a baking sheet and lightly coat both sides with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Bake on the center rack for 20 minutes, flipping the slices half-way through. Set aside until ready to use.
- Grate 1 cup-worth of gouda cheese, finely chop sage leaves until you have 1 tablespoon-worth, and slice the cooked beets into ¼ inch rounds.
Prepare the Galette
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll into a circle that’s 1/8-inch thick. Transfer to the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the gouda and sage over the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches untouched around the edges.
- Layer the sliced beets and sweet potatoes over the cheese and fold the edges of the dough over the filling. Press the dough together to seal the edges. Brush the gallete dough with olive oil or a beaten egg to ensure the crust doesn’t burn while baking.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cheese has melted and crust is golden-brown. Allow galette to cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.