Creamy Past with Beets & Smoked Ham
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
What you'll need:
- 375g pasta in whichever shape you prefer (i.e. fusilli, penne, etc.)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 450ml milk
- 150ml double cream (or use extra milk for a less rich option)
- 150g gruyere or mature cheddar, torn into shreds
- Small bunch of chives, snipped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g Cooked Beets (2 packs), cut into cubes
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and reserve.
- Set a heavy based saucepan over a low heat, sweet the onion in the butter for 10-15 minutes until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute before stirring through the flour.
- Pour in milk and cream and bring up to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Simmer steadily for 2-3 minutes to cook the flour.
- Turn out the heat, stir through half the cheese, the ham and the chives. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir through the cooked pasts and beets and spoon into a baking dish. Scatter over the rest of the cheese and bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!