Beet Falafel with Cinnamon Maple Tahini
Preparation Time: 20 Mins
Cooking Time: 18 min
Yields: 10 Falafel
What you'll need:
- 1 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Love Beets cooked beets, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, optional
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- ½ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour*
- Cinnamon Maple Tahini:
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water, to desired thickness
- 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt, to taste
*You can also use regular all-purpose flour or breadcrumbs
What to do:
Prepare the cinnamon maple tahini sauce:
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and stir until completely combined. The sauce will thicken as it sits, so if necessary, add more water or full-fat canned coconut milk to thin it out. Set aside until ready to use.
Prepare the Falafel:
- Add all of the ingredients for the falafel to a food processor, except for the flour. Pulse until a thick paste the consistency of hummus is formed. You will need to stop the food processor to scrape the sides and start it back up again multiple times.
- Add a third of the flour and process. Repeat for the remaining flour, scraping the sides in between batches.
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium-high and add enough coconut oil to generously coat the surface, about 3 to 4 tablespoons. With floured hands, form falafel patties (about ¼ cup of mixture per patty). Carefully place 4 of the falafel discs onto the hot skillet and cook 3 minutes. Carefully flip and cook another 3 minutes, or until both sides are crispy and falafel are cooked through.
- Serve falafel with a drizzle of tahini sauce, chopped green onion, and sprigs of fresh rosemary.