Beet-Stained Smoked Salmon with Beets & Walnuts
Preparation Time: 15 mins + 4-24 hours to stain salmon
Cooking Time: None
What you'll need:
- 250g cooked beets
- 12 chives
- 8-12 walnuts halves
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 1/2 tsp sherry vinegar
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground pepper
- 120g smoked salmon
- 2 tsp creme fraiche
- 2 springs of dill
What to do:
- Take one beet and slice it into thin rounds. Put the salmon on a plate (if it is already sliced, then remove the plastic sheets interleaving the pieces, but arranging the slices so that they are evenly overlapping). Grind over a little pepper and lay the beetroot over the top. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and put a second plate on top to weigh it down. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours (or at least 4 hours).
- Cut the rest of the beets in half, then slice into half circles.
- Slice the chives finely on the diagonal. Break the walnuts into three of four pieces each.
- Mix the sliced beet halves, chives, walnuts, walnut oil three or four pieces each.
- Just before serving, peel the beet circles off of the salmon. Arrange the salmon, crumpling it slightly into a nest, on one large or 2 individual plates. Spoon the salad in a pile on top. Drop a dollop of creme fraiche on top. Break off tiny springs of dill and scatter over the salad.