What You'll Need
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 package Love Beets Chilli Beets, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp dried chilli pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 700g diced tomatoes tinned or fresh
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
What to Do
- Heat the oil in a large saucepot over medium heat. Sauté the onions for 5 to 8 minutes until translucent. Add in the garlic, tomato paste, paprika, chili flakes, ground clove, and salt and let the tomato paste and spices toast and cook out with the onions for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, mustard, brown sugar, and vinegar. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer. Once simmering, add in the chopped beets and continue simmering on low, 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is just barely thick like ketchup.
- Using a food processor or blender, puree the mixture until smooth, about 30 seconds. The mixture should retain a little texture. Adjust the seasonings if needed and pour the ketchup into an airtight container and seal. Reserve in the fridge until ready to serve. Ketchup keeps well refrigerated for up to 1 month.
- Pour some of the ketchup into bowls and place on a large serving platter. Arrange the fried veggies and raw veggies around the bowls. If desired, add a small bowl of mustard and a few lemon wedges for serving and enjoy immediately.