What You'll Need
- 250g pack Love Beets, reserving the beet juice for the icing
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup rice bran oil
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp bi carb soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp beet juice (or water or milk)
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and grease an 8-inch round cake tin or bundt tin. Place the beets into a blender and blend on high for 1 minute to puree. Add a splash of water if it has trouble blending them.
- Pour the pureed beets into a large bowl then add brown sugar, vanilla, eggs and rice bran oil. Whisk until completely combined.
- Sift in plain flour, bi carb soda, baking powder and cocoa powder. Whisk the mixture to combine into a thick smooth batter. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile prepare the icing. Place the icing sugar in a bowl, and then add 1 tbsp of beet juice at a time until the icing comes together. It is ready when you can pour it in a thin line from a spoon and soft ribbons form on the surface, before quickly disappearing. If you don’t have enough beet juice, top up with a little water or milk.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, drizzle with the beet glaze.